This filling recipe is so delicious you’ll want to use it in more recipes than a two-crust apple pie. Honeycrisp hand pies, apple crisp, apple pie dumplings, and apple pie taquitos are just a few of the variety of desserts that use this recipe as well!
5 large size Honeycrisp apples
1 cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ cup flour
2 tablespoons butter
- For a two-crust apple pie, preheat oven to 400°.
- Peel, core, and thinly slice 5 large or 6-7 medium size Honeycrisp apples.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to apple slices gently stirring to coat all the slices evenly.
- The filling is ready to pour into a pie plate with pastry or add to another recipe.
Honeycrisp Apple Pie
- Click here for my perfect ‘Old World’ Pie Crust recipe!
- Dotting the filling with 2 tablespoons of butter keeps the juices from bubbling over and adds additional flavor. Add the top crust and seal by fluting the edge.
- Slice a couple of small vents in the top pastry.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes then turn down oven to 350° and bake for 35 minutes. Insert knife into center of pie, if there’s no resistance then the pie is done.